Guide to Choosing the Right SunscreenSunscreen protects you from harmful ultraviolet rays in two ways. There is sunscreen that works by reflecting UV rays so they are not exposed to the skin. Some work by absorbing UV light before it hits your skin. Previously, we only focused on finding a high content of sun protection factor (SPF) when looking for sunscreen. Because SPF serves to protect the skin from the dangers of ultraviolet B (UVB), namely sunburn, blackening, and skin cancer. But recent research has revealed that ultraviolet A (UVA) light can also increase the risk of skin cancer and cause wrinkles, although it cannot make skin burn. So that you get maximum protection, it is recommended to choose a sunscreen that has the following ingredients:
- Choose sunscreen with an SPF level of 15 or more. These levels indicate how effective sunscreen prevents your skin from burning from UVB rays. For example, if your skin will burn within 10 minutes. Then an SPF 15 sunscreen can protect your skin for 150 minutes before it burns and eventually turns black. For some people, wearing an SPF 15 sunscreen is enough. Higher SPF levels are only for those who have very white skin, or have conditions such as a history of skin cancer or lupus. Comparing SPF 15 and SPF 30 sunblock, you might consider SPF 30 sunblock to have a double benefit. Yet the reality is not like that. SPF 30 sunscreens can only ward off UVB rays as much as 97 percent, four percent higher than SPF 15.
- Choose sunscreen that protects you from UVB and UVA rays or multi-spectrum protection. Your skin can be protected from these two rays with ingredients such as ecamsule, zinc oxide, avobenzone, oxybenzone, titanium dioxide, or sulisobenzon. Choose sunscreen that contains at least these ingredients.
How to Use Sunscreen CorrectlySunscreen is used every time you leave the house, especially at 10:00 until 14:00. The weather has no effect. Use it well in hot or cloudy weather conditions. Apparently, when cloudy the danger of UV rays can still penetrate the clouds. For sunscreen to work perfectly, follow the steps below.
- Apply sunscreen 15 minutes or 30 minutes before doing activities in the sun. Apply about 2 tablespoons of sunscreen to the entire body and 2 teaspoons of sunscreen on the face. Many people who use sunscreen do not fit the right dose, which makes them lose many benefits.
- Make sure the sunscreen is evenly distributed throughout the body including the legs, back of the feet, ears and head (if your head is bald). Not only that, also use a lip balm that can protect you from UV rays on the lips.
- Use repeatedly. You have to reapply sunscreen every two hours. Use it more often if you sweat or swim.
- Before doing the methods above, check the expiration date of the sunscreen on the packaging. Usually sunscreen is safe to use up to three years from the date of production.
Sunscreen according to the type and condition of your skinIn addition to the above methods, the use of sunscreen must also be adapted to the condition of your skin in general.
For this skin type it is recommended to choose a sunscreen in the form of a cream, ointment, or lotion. Also choose sunscreens that can moisturize your skin such as sunscreens that contain oil, lanolin, or dimethicone.
To prevent your skin from becoming greasy, choose oil-free or oil-free sunscreens. You can also choose products made from alcohol or gel.
Sunscreens that contain preservatives and fragrances are recommended to be avoided if you have sensitive skin types. In addition, also avoid sunblock made from PABA. Sensitive skin owners are also advised to choose a labeled sunscreen. If your skin has acne, avoid sunscreens that are oily creams, because they can worsen the condition of acne. Better to choose a sunscreen in the form of gel containing alcohol. But please note that alcohol content should be avoided if you have sensitive skin and rosacea.
Avoid cream-shaped sunscreen because it can stick to fine hair on the skin. It is recommended to choose a gel or spray (spray).
Use sunscreen with SPF 15. Avoid sunscreen made from titanium dioxide because it can make the skin look pale. But there is sunscreen with the latest technology that can make it blend with skin color.